Best Gunsmith Lathe of 2020 – Get the Best Quality Tool for Your Work
Lathe – when I hear this name, many types of cutters come into my mind at the same time. It is challenging to put these lathes into some categories. There are many types and varieties available, along with various sizes. Also, each machine may have unique construction and designs that help on different projects.
Classification of Different Lathes
In the market, you can easily find bench lathe, speed lathe, engine lathe, tool room lathe, capstan and turret lathe, automatic lathe, and some other lathes for the specific purposes. Such purposes include precision, facing, frontal, vertical, production, duplicate lathe, etc.
Lathes can also be classified with their height of centers (i.e.) above the bed. Small machines are having the height of centers up to 150 mm, medium size lathes having the height of centers from 150 to 300 mm, and heavy-duty lathes having the height of centers above 300 mm.
What Is a Gunsmithing Lathe?
Generally, as the name suggests, a gunsmithing lathe is a tool gunsmiths can use while working with a gun. Not only them, nowadays, but many hobbyists, metal workers, and modelers also use gunsmithing lathe to complete their small jobs and other projects. Using such tools and machines are very convenient, especially when you do not have access to a shop with the necessary equipment. Here in this article, you will find some of the best, mini lathes for gunsmithing.
Best Gunsmith Lathe
1. Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe
Grizzly is a name you can trust. When you see this lathe, you may think what this little machine can do! But, you will be amazed to know that it features a 7-inch swing over bed and is powered by a single-phase ¾ HP motor with 110-volt. It can surely fulfill your expectations regarding the small job, with many other positive surprises.
Grizzly G8688’s Key Features And Specifications
- It comes with the 16 TPI reversible lead screw. You can forward and reverse it at all speeds.
- You can easily control the machine’s speed with the variable speed controller.
- The highest speed is around 2500 RPM and 0-1100 RPM for low range.
- It includes a, a chip tray and a backsplash guard. Apart from these, it also contains a 4-way turret tool post.
- There are a threading dial indicator and a standard and metric handwheel graduations.
- It features a thread range of 12 to 52 TPI and 18 standard and ten metric thread pitches.
- It comes with a safety switch and a user manual.
- Its net weight is around 74 pounds only.
2. Mophorn Benchtop Wood Lathe with Digital Control System
This lathe is designed to perform various types of metal, jade, and woodturning work without putting much effort. It is a perfect tool, especially for the hobbyist or for those people who want to do small jobs on their own. It can be used for mini precision parts processing, sample processing, or modeling works. You can add finite detail to your construction project with the help of this machine.
Mophorn Benchtop Wood Lathe’s Key Features And Specifications
- The company offers 750W motor power. Spindle speed can be adjusted from 50 to 1250 RPM for the low range and 100 to 2500 RPM for the high range.
- It also allows variable-speed spindle and comes with the quick-lock taper MT#2 tailstock. The distance between centers is 400 mm.
- You can do precise scaling by the digitally standardized way and adjust by the lateral movement. It is famous for its more accurate rotation.
- This 8” x 16” metal lathe is equipped with all-metal gears, shell, and handwheel. It is also wear-resistant and long-lasting.
- It is perfect for the hobbyists and all those modelers who crave for the finest finishes in their work.
3. Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe
The kit includes the lathe, chuck key, five-piece carbide tipped cutter kit, internal and external chuck jaws, a complete set, eleven feed rate gears, and owner manual to understand how it the lathe works.
Erie Tools Metal Milling Lathe’s Key Features And Specifications
- This mini lathe provides a 7-inch swing. Also, there is a 14-inch space between centers which is way too convenient.
- It also allows easy-to-read digital readout while changing the RPMs.
- You can drill or cut or even turn any form of metal, wood, or plastic parts with the help of this mining lathe. It is very precise and works amazingly fast.
- As it allows variable speed, you can have the most precise work in no time. It can adjust to 2500 RPM.
- You can operate it in both rotational directions, and that allows left-handed threads.
- The indicator helps users turn the screw threads anywhere from 12 to 52 TPI, either metric or imperial.
4. Mophorn 7 x 12 Inch Precision Mini Metal Lathe
This product offers motor power of 550W, MT3 spindle taper, and MT2 tailstock taper. With the help of the speed switch, you can handle the spindle and adjust it between 50 and 2250 RPM. Isn’t it great for small jobs? Oh, by the way, these metal lathe spindle bearings use precise tapered roller bearings too. These can be adjusted forward as well as backward position.
Mophorn Mini Metal Lathe’s Key Features And Specifications
- This precision mini lathe is made to work with metal, jade, and wood. It can be used for mini precision parts processing and modeling works.
- It is perfect for hobbyists and modelers for their sample processing. It is famous for its better precision and standard, up to the mark work.
- Range of metric threads of this lathe is between 12.7 and 63.5 mm. It is best to use in labs, workshops, or for engineering education.
- It can be turned within foreign aid, turning thread, turning taper, etc.
- It offers cross side travel is around 65 mm, and top slide travel is approximately 35 mm.
These are the top four gunsmith lathe for sale according to my research. The gunsmithing lathe contains many essential parts that should be regularly cleaned, oiled, and maintained to keep them in good condition for a longer period.
Gunsmith Lathe Buying Guide: Things to Know Before Buying
Gunsmithing is a complicated practice of designing, manufacturing, fixing, and modifying guns. It requires knowledge of multiple fields. A Lathe is a complicated machine. For any individual who wishes to deal with Gunsmith Lathe, needs a thorough understanding of mechanisms, even if he doesn’t like it.
As we discussed earlier, Gunsmith Lathe is basically a tool that helps in rotating the parts of the gun when one is working on it. With the help of such rotations, you can work on different parts of the gun and perform various operations on it. Operations include cutting, threading, drilling, or any other thing you wish to do.
When it comes to buying a Gunsmith Lathe, today’s market has ample options for you. You are going to spend a good share of your earnings, so why not buy the best one. However, there are several things that you should consider before purchasing a Gunsmith Lathe. This article contains all the information you should have before buying a Gunsmith Lathe. Read it till the end and get the best one.
Things to consider
One of the most important things to figure out is what is the usage for which you need a Gunsmith Lathe. A general Gunsmith Lathe will obviously save your money if you need it for multiple or heavy-duty purposes. But if you need it for some specific usage, go for the option that serves the best purpose. There is no point in spending more money for less usage work.
In accordance with the purpose, you also have to think of the space available at your workplace for the machine. You anyways will have many types of machinery. So, depending on the purpose, go for the lathe that takes less space and works in the best way.
3 Narrow Headstock
A Gunsmith Lathe with a narrow headstock proves to be the best for most of the work and also consumes less space. It will allow you to fix a shotgun barrel and hold it in place for you.
Now that you are aware of the usage and workspace size, you really need to consider the budget you can spare. Based on that amount, list down all the Gunsmith lathe available. Match your requirements and check the review. Go for the company that is most trusted and is known for its quality products.
So, before purchasing a lathe, it is advisable to think about future projected uses. Also, the size of a cutter is a significant limiting factor to consider! It is crucial to purchase a lathe small, medium, or large enough as per your interest and future projects.
Now that you have read the article so far, you know all the things that you should keep in mind before buying a Gunsmith Lathe. What are you waiting for? Cross-check all your requirements and get the best one for your work. We hope we were of some help to you. Happy buying! Invest wisely. 🙂