Gunsmithing is a beautiful art. It requires precision and passion for the art, which makes it an excellent hobby and profession. However, it requires the use of excellent tools such as a precision lathe to help you do a good job. Low-quality lathes will just make matters worse. This is why you must look at purchasing a good one.
Precision Matthews Lathe review
Now, during your search, we are positive that you may have come across the Precision Matthews Lathe. Of course! It is among the most popular options out there. Should you buy it? Is it worth the hype? Our review will help you find out.
About the Precision Matthews Lathe
Precision Matthews 1440 Lathe is a state-of-the-art precision instrument made in Taiwan. This lathe has a high precision engine and is best suited to execute meticulous crafts such as gunsmithing, usage in the tool rooms as well as generic shop lathe work.
PM-1440 GT has an impressive 14’’ swing over bed and a sturdy spindle that can work around a 2’’ material. Another winner for the machine is its price-tag, which falls under the affordable category. The headstock bears high-precision, solid Ground gears that step-up its spindle performance. The flat-top tailstock comes with a ball oiler that facilitates quill lubrication.
Features of the Precision Matthews Lathe
- It has three-phase power to match the user’s requirements. The power requirements are: 220 Vac, 60 Hz, 1Ø, 13A max (option: 220 Vac, 3Ø, 9A max)
- The headstock is accurate, sturdy with ground gears all over and it has splash oil bath lubrication
- It comes with a 5-year warranty
- Spindle comes with Japanese ultra-precision tapered roller bearings for longevity
- Lead screws feature the true inch pitch screws ( sans metric conversions), 10 threads per inch (.100” per turn)
Precision Matthews Lathe review – Pros
- It has a very good spindle runout of less than +/- 0.00003″
- It has a high-precision headstock alignment
- It has user-friendly alignment options. The machine can be easily adjusted as per your requirements to give you the desired precision.
- It has cast iron feet that provide a steady surface for the lathe and facilitate easy leveling
- The machine is competitively priced for a 2’’ spindle bore bearing lathe in the market
Precision Matthews Lathe review – Cons
- Difficult unloading which makes it time-consuming
- It would be a huge first-time investment for beginners
Verdict – Is the Precision Matthews Lathe worth a buy?
The Precision Matthews PM-1440GT lathe is the right machine for any professional who is on the look-out for a machine that is medium-sized yet powerful and ultra-precise in delivery. It has impressive specifications and is the ideal gear for everyday cutting, drilling, and symmetry oriented work-piece creating tasks.
In case of any doubts or further questions, please feel free to drop your queries in the comment section.