If you are a wood artist, then you know how vital a benchtop wood lathe is! It is a tool for woodworking that helps you to finish your tasks effortlessly in no time. Unlike other products, purchasing a wen lathe is quite tricky. You have to research a bit and find the most suitable machine fitting your requirements and working patterns. This article will throw some light on one of the best lathes available named WEN 3420.
WEN 3420 Lathe Review
WEN is a budget-friendly brand. It makes powerful machines to provide the customers with the best outcome. It has many positive reviews as most of the customers are satisfied with it and the company’s services. We will discuss its features, advantages, as well as demerits in-depth so that you can make your final decision.
Features And Specifications of WEN 3420 Variable Speed Benchtop Wood Lathe
- There are three different sizes available: 8” x 12” and 12” x 18” with variable speed and 12” x 18” with five-speed.
- If you are a professional, you can choose a lathe according to your projects. If you are into small or do-it-yourself projects, mini lathe like this works best.
- If you are associated with some huge workpieces, you should consider a bigger and advanced lathe.
- As this lathe has a compact size, even beginners and hobbyists prefer to use it for their small wood projects.
- There are two types of speed a lathe can provide; one is fixed, and the other is variable. The speed generally stands between 500 and 3500 rotations in a minute.
- In wen 3420 lathe, you can adjust the variable speed anywhere from 750 to 3200 rotations per minute.
- There is a knob attached to the side that can change the speed easily. So, even if you are working on your project and want to shift in the other speed, you can reach there safely by simply turning the knob.
- The body is made with solid cast iron. The iron is capable enough to protect the machine from any damages. Thus, this benchtop wood lathe provides ultimate safety. Any benchtop workstations can be fit on the working surface.
- It never runs at full speed initially to ensure the safety of the user. This machine starts silently and increases speed gradually.
- It features a 1/3 horsepower with a 2-amp motor to avoid any mishaps. An engine plays an important role when it comes to woodcutting, and this one works fantastic.
- If we talk about accessories, the company believes in the jackpot. The kit includes a knockout rod, two tool rests, a faceplate, a 5-inch faceplate for turning bowls, cups, and other non-spindle workpieces.
- There is an MT1 spindle and a tailstock taper so that you can have a tight grip on your project. There is a turnable knob on the tailstock that puts the mandrel out about two inches. Not only that, but it also includes a punch-out tool that can pop the mandrels out if they get jammed in there.
Other Important Features
- The company provides a two-year warranty.
- Its weight is around 43 pounds.
- There is an on/off switch with safety lock.
- It does not come with the reverse function.
- This machine is perfect for carving out small projects such as bowls or pens.
- The distance across the lathe is about two feet with a height of one foot.
- It can help you to decide the perfect speed for your various projects.
Pros and Cons of WEN 3420 Lathe
- It is inexpensive and budget-friendly.
- It comes with variable speeds.
- Its compact size is convenient for users.
- It can fit in any workstation, and any workpiece can fit in it.
- It has a powerful motor, but it never irritates the user.
- It comes with many essential accessories to smooth the process.
- This lathe is not suitable for big projects because of its small size and limited power. The workpiece might get broken or damaged in the process. So, it is advisable to use this lathe only for small projects.
So, this is the detailed WEN wood lathe review, according to us. We hope you have found all the answers you were looking for. You can always get back to us if you have any queries related to lathes. Have a break from your busy life, and always spare some time to create magical wood art. 🙂